[openbox] patch for NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN support in openbox 2.3

Ben Jansens ben at orodu.net
Mon Mar 17 03:42:19 EST 2003

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 12:39:12AM -0800, Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 02:28:39AM -0600, Ben Jansens wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 12:26:38AM -0800, Marc Wilson wrote:
> > > If I remember correctly, doesn't xawtv just decide that if it sees NETWM,
> > > then whatever feature it thinks it wants is available?  Didn't you
> > > determine that FULLSCREEN wasn't being advertised now, but it was assuming
> > > it was there anyway?  Have to find old irc log...
> >
> > That was an xawtv bug yes. This patch would change that though, and suddenly
> > we have an Openbox bug (so says the wm-spec list so far) because it doesnt
> > check with the VidMode extension for the screen size.
>
> What's stopping xawtv from ordering X to change screen modes, then?  With
> patch or without, the shift never occurs.  The only difference is that with
> the patch, you get this black screen with an itty-bitty (relatively) TV
> picture in the middle of it. ^_^
>
> Or am I missing something and xawtv is expecting openbox to shift modes for
> it?  When the last discussion took place, I understood that xawtv was
> assuming openbox supported something it didn't, but I didn't understand how
> far that assumption went (I guess).

xawtv + netwm fullscreen is in flux and whatever version you have is probly
not the same as CVS. Xawtv will change reses itself, and set the FULLSCREEN
state, and then openbox is sopposed to resize the window to fill only the
part of the screen visible with the mode change. Or so I beleive. But now
there's the RandR extension too. We'll see. Basically, the proper behavior
for changing modes with the fullscreen hint is not defined yet.

Ben
--
I am damn unsatisfied to be killed in this way.

http://www.icculus.org/openbox/