[openbox] Theme suggestion, toolbar question

Ben Jansens ben at orodu.net
Thu Jul 31 12:29:44 EDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 05:12:57PM +0100, MXN wrote:
> Hello all. (Never posted to a mailing list before so let's hope I do
> this alright.)
>
> I don't know much about the history of openbox, but I've got a couple of
> suggestions for ob3 concerning theming.
>
> First, the window buttons (lower/iconify?, maximise, close) should have
> a 'mouse over' state. This might also be called a focus state.
> Basically, if the mouse goes over a specific button, you could theme
> this event to make it light up. I know this might be a bit bloaty for a
> light wm but please consider it if it doesn't exist already!

This was added just a couple days ago :)

> Second, there should be a way to 'pad' menu items. This wouldn't be
> per-item but just for the whole menu, to give a specific number of
> pixels space around the text for each 'hilite'.

Hm interesting. Original blackbox themes had one padding value that was
applied to everything. Perhaps some more specific ones would be good.

> I'm thinking about this from a history of designing for the web, sorry.
> Arrogant rampage over, here's a query:
>
> I've compiled/packaged up ob3 and run it, but I don't have a toolbar. It
> just isn't anywhere. I've tried changing the theme. This means that if I
> lower dialogs, they pretty much disappear and I can't get them back.
> Also, middle click on the desktop doesn't bring up a workspace menu, but
> I'm sure this could just be because I have to bind it in rc3.

There is no toolbar. If someone wants to write one as a separate app, I
would encourage it. All the openbox rendering code has been split into a
library for just such a purpose.

When you say "lower" i assume you mean iconify, and you can alt-tab to them.

There is currently no workspace menu. I know Scott has been talking about it
and hopefully we'll see one soon :)

Ben