[openbox] Java Swing apps slow with Openbox 3?

Peter Chiocchetti pch at myzel.net
Mon Jul 28 10:06:51 EDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 01:57:01PM +0200, Alexander Futasz wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm seeking for somebody that could verify a problem I'm experiencing
> here. I use jEdit, an editor written in Java and when started it takes a
> lot more time till it is completey drawn and you can actually use it.

sorry, no jedit here; but the j2me toolkit produces a similar
effect.  in ob3, after the window is mapped, with a gray
background, one or two seconds pass till the contents are
drawn. in openbox2 the window is still mapped fully gray, but
the contents are drawn much more quickly. (its not about java
being in memory already, as its the same after switching back
to 3.)

theres also a small glitch with fullscreen java apps (e.g.
http://www.myzel.net/geomorph/geomorph.jar). A week ago, it
took ages to load, its window's button in the gnome-panel
flashing.  this has improved in cvs. now, its like that only
on exiting the app, but not always;)

PS: theres an undeclared variable "con" in event.c in current
cvs, I did comment the line, and it would compile and run.

PPS: when switching back from openbox2 to v3, the gnome-panel
forgets that its on all desktops, and only appears on the
first. when again switching to v2 its on all of them there.
this is much like the light in the fridge, and v2 and v3 are
the door open/closed states :)

cheers,

peter