[openbox] Themes?

David Barr dpb at clara.co.uk
Wed Jul 23 17:18:03 EDT 2003

Chris Anderson wrote:

>I didn't actually do any Openbox2 themes so I'm going to list things I
>think would be nice for theme design, regardless of whether they were
>already in Openbox2 (sorry ;p).
>
>Wishlist:
>-Ability to set pixel lengths for menu and window border widths
>-Gradient support so fewer png's need to be loaded into memory (though
>this could create some unneccessary overhead, pngs might be better)
>-Ability to specify a wallpaper for each virtual desktop?
>-Different font size / face suppot
>
>That's all I can think of now, I'm sure I'll have a lot more by the time
>work is over (hard at work or hardly working? I'd have to say the
>latter)
>
>-Chris
>
>On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 11:01, Scott Moynes wrote:
>

>> In all seriousness, it would really help to get input from users about
>>
>>what they'd like to see. It really sucks to get no input for months,
>>then work your ass of to create something and get nothing but
>>complaints about how it is obviously the wrong way to do it.
>>
>>Scott.

for all the people that complain there are probably many more happily
and gratefully using openbox quietly and enjoying it's grace, in a
polite, shy fashion, (maybe over tea?) i don't get you two's mail but i
bet most 'complaints' are just badly worded suggestions, meant with the
best intentions, but executed in a retarded, ill thought out  fashion.
personally i never expect to find a window manager to fit my personal
criteria for a 'good' window manager, and the plugins and and stuff only
hint at what's to come, so y'know; hugs and shit.

as for my (hopefully constructive) suggestions:

It would be nice to maybe set a minimun and maximum height for the
titlebar, and maybe widths for grips and stuff, but i don't think it is
very important. i like the title/handle/grip thing so i hope that
doesn't go or change too much. a horizontal bi-linear gradient would be
nice too :)

some kind or inheritence/integration with gnome would be nice but the
kde kids would complain and i think a lot of people use openbox on it's
own, so this would be "bloat" in their mind.
(i remember pretending to make a script to do that for the historians,
the script was suppose to produce the 'merry' theme but scripts suck, as
do i.)

david

PS for anyone too lazy to find out, the gnome menu overlap thing is i
*think* 8 pixels