Openbox3-alpha2 released!

Ben Jansens ben at orodu.net
Wed Jul 23 00:50:43 EDT 2003

Greetings mailing list folk,

I thought I should put out the word on the alpha2 release. Details as
follows:

The latest in the Openbox 3 alpha series is out and about and looking for
some action!

Alpha2 brings with it bug fixes since the alpha1 release, as well as some
added features:

    * Fixes and massive speed improvements in the window stacking code.
    * New disabled buttons for themes. Instead of removing the button from
      the titlebar when it cannot be used (and moving the other buttons
      around), the unusable button is now rendered with the 'disabled' style.
      None of the current themes actually use this, so you get a nice black
      and white button at the moment. If you report this as a bug I will
      make your life very painful. :)
    * History placement was very bugged in alpha1, all windows ended
      up sharing the same history instead of each being independant. Window
      placement still needs a lot of work.
    * New menuOverlap theme element. Set to a positive number (like.. 5) to
      make the submenus overlap (as seen on TV.. and in GTK 2).
    * Rendering fixups for big endian machines.
    * Parsing support added for menu plugins.
    * New include_menu plugin.
    * Keyboard navigatable menus.
    * Add --replace option which will let Openbox request the current WM to
      shut down (and be replaced). This only works if the other WM also
      supports the WM_Sn selection (defined in the ICCCM version 2). For
      everyone who didn't understand that: with most WM's --replace won't
      do anything, but it can be used to cleanly/easily replace some WMs
      (metacity and openbox are the only 2 that I know of currently).

Grab it here: http://openbox.org/releases/openbox-3.0-alpha2.tar.gz

Ben