[openbox] Menu stuff.

Scott Moynes smoynes at nerdnest.org
Tue Jul 22 21:57:01 EDT 2003

* Aaron Gyes (floam at ascorbic.com) wrote:
> * I think I've heard somewhere, that when bullets are implemented,
>   there will be blank space on the left, like in openbox2. Does this
>   *really* have to happen? I know you want bullets and submenu arrows
>   separated, but will a menu ever be arrowed, can't it always be on
>   the right? (though I'm not sure if I understand any of this right)

No, I don't understand, but I'd like to keep the rendering as flexible
as possible. If we remove some of the space just so menus will be a
few pixels smaller, soon someone will ask how come they can't have
bullets and submenus on the same entry. For instance, a client menu
might bullet the current desktop and have a submenu for the clients
on that desktop.

> * In openbox2, and all previous *box's, the menu file gets re read
>   each time the menu is called, is this impossible now that the
>   menu is in the main rc3 and too big to parse that often?

I might make a plugin that will do that.

> * Are extra-dynamic menus (menus get updated while they are shown,
>   ie. maybe some guy made a clock menu plugin, you could see the
>   seconds change) impossible?

I'm not sure how easy that would be. It is certainly possible for a
menu plugin to update each time it is shown. However, I think people
will find the lag before showing to be uncomfortable; but it is
possible.

To have an entry update while the menu is shown might not be too
bad. I will have to look into how hard it will be to do. The main
problem with this is creating an API that doesn't suck.

It is easy to add one time hacks to add little used features, but the
cost in the long run is not something I really enjoy.

Scott.

--
Scott Moynes http://www.icculus.org/openbox/
"Computer science is as much about computers