[openbox] iconic desktop question

Ben Jansens ben at orodu.net
Thu Feb 6 01:05:30 EST 2003

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 12:02:10PM -0800, Ignacio Thayer wrote:

> I'm a new openbox convert, driven here from blackbox for the same reasons
> as everyone else apparently. I'd like to contribute to openbox, and
> I see that in openbox 3, the code continues to handle iconified windows by
> moving them to ICONIC_DESKTOP ala Blackbox. I didnt see anything in
> the NETWM spec about handling icons this way (please tell me if i'm wrong), and it
> prevents the ability to know which desktop iconified windows were on (say
> if you wanted a taskbar to only show icons for this workspace/desktop).
> So my question is: why continue to do it this way?

While the window sits on ICONIC_DESKTOP, its hint is not changed. So
any programs outside of Openbox see it as iconic, and still on its
original desktop. This works great with gnome-panel.

The reason was because it makes the code for choosing which windows to
display simpler. One less check to forget.

Ben
--
I am damn unsatisfied to be killed in this way.

http://www.icculus.org/openbox/