[openbox] Splitting submenu into multiple columns.

Scott Moynes smoynes at nerdnest.org
Sat Aug 9 17:31:55 EDT 2003

* Matthew Graybosch (matthew at starbreaker.net) wrote:
> Fair enough. Maybe I should brush up on my C++ and do it myself.

openbox3 is all in C. :D

menu_render.c is where most of the work that will have to be done, and
a little bit in the event handling stuff. If you are seriously
interested, it will certainly be valuable to abstract some of that
stuff, and I'm willing to accomodate anyone interested in
development.

> Yes, it's quite reasonable. I was thinking of modifying my script
> anyway, as I wanted to refine my music filesystem by genre. Keep all the
> prog in one director, the classical in another, the NWOBHM in yet
> another.

I was thinking more along the lines of:

john_coltrane

\-> a-l
 |-> a_love_supreme
 |-> ...
 \-> live_at_the_village_vanguard
\->m-z
 |-> ...
 \-> the_last_giant

Hrmm. Thinking about it, I think this would be a pretty common
request and a pretty general music browsing script would be attractive.

> I just thought that a menu shouldn't be able to go offscreen, but I
> don't mine working around since I can't fix it myself.

On the one hand, I agree that menus shouldn't go offscreen, on the
other I think that, if they do, it is a symptom that a few lines of
code could solve. If you have more than 30 entries in a menu maybe you
should break it down a bit.

I'm rambling now. Summary: there's other issues I'd rather devote time
to (window list menu, more customization, better rendering) but I
agree what we have now isn't perfect. :)

Scott
--
Scott Moynes http://www.icculus.org/openbox/
"Computer science is as much about computers