Suggestion for format of theme file

MXN mxn at timewarp.co.uk
Sat Aug 2 15:41:34 EDT 2003

I don't know much about how the format of a theme file (this file is
currently "themerc") works, but here are some suggestions based on my
experience of hacking my own themes together.

There's a *lot* of repetition. It would make more sense to have a
hierarchical format. Take this for example:

menu.title:		val
menu.title.color:	val
menu.title.justify:	val
menu.frame:		val

And so on. Using a hierarchy with markup style syntax (just for the sake
of demonstration), such repetition could be neatly avoided. For example:

<menu>
  <title>
    texture=val
    color=val
    justify=val
  </title>
  <frame>
    texture=val
</menu>

And so on. This is in no way a final structure in my mind: there are a
huge number of potential formats that could be drawn from this idea.
Importantly it would make theme files more readable and usable, and
hence mean they would be easier to manage and modify. The enhanced
possibilities for theming with ob3 would require a format that reflects
this.

I keep in mind that the ob3 devs may be considering XML for theme files,
which may result in a structure like I've described here.

Cheers.