[openbox] RedHat 8.0

John Eckerdal john at hl.lu.se
Tue Oct 29 11:56:01 EST 2002

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Daniel Ems wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, John Eckerdal wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Scott Moynes wrote:
> >
> > > Looks like a compiler error to me. Fill out a bug report with Redhat I
> > > assume. However, it won't help much as we've had many bug reports from
> > > people compiling on Redhat systems, and none of them have been helpful
> > > enough to get it debugged properly.
> >
> > A CVS version compiled on RH 8.0 some days ago worked fine here.
> >
> > The problem is that you have to manually edit the Makefiles after
> > configure has created them - otherwise Xft support is missing.
> > Other than that there are no bugs, except maybe that menu bug that
> > someone mentioned awhile ago.
> >

> Thanks for the quick responses.  How complicated is editing the Makefiles
> - I don't have much experience with them.  Could you tell me the steps?
> If I don't make the changes, what will I be missing?

Xft support. No anti-alias on fonts.

To do this:

1. ./configure
2. edit src/Makefile
3. Locate openbox_LDFLAGS and append `xft-config --libs`
4. Locate CXXFLAGS and append `xft-config --cflags`
5. edit config.h
6. Locate /* Enable support of the Xft extension */
7. change the line below that one to #define XFT 1
8. Run make

Note that in step 3 & 4 is is note the back-quote not the ' one.

Also note that xlsfonts in the util directory will fail. This does not
matter I think.

--
John Eckerdal                        the Assembly Gems page
                               http://www.df.lth.se/~john_e