[openbox] Fireworks

Alexander Volovics awol at home.nl
Wed Oct 16 11:19:01 EDT 2002

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 07:38:04AM -0400, Scott Moynes wrote:

> * Alexander Volovics (awol at home.nl) wrote:
> > At the moment this is based on the old xft (=xft1) included in
> > XFree86-4.2.  However we already have Xft2 and if I understand it
> > correctly ongoing Xft development is not going to build on xft1.

> I thought about this, but most distros don't ship with xft2 so we'd
> have to support both which could get ugly. I'll look into it though.

Indeed, as far as I know only RH-8.0 has switched to Xft2/fontconfig.

But it is already in XFree86-CVS, Gnome2-CVS, Ximian-gnome-CVS.
qt-3.1 and gtk+-2.0.5 support it and all recent Gtk apps (abiword,
galeon, gftp, etc). So you are going to encounter it sooner than later.
(if you use Debian it is definitely going to be later {^_-})

It makes installing and configuring freetype fonts almost as easy as dropping
them into, for example, ~/.fonts and you get "client side fonts" not the
wooden X server variety. (no more messing around with something like xftconfig).

I would appreciate very much if you could look into it.

Alexander