[openbox] compiling openbox-2.1.2 on redhat-8.0

John Eckerdal john at hl.lu.se
Mon Oct 7 19:34:43 EDT 2002

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Alexander Volovics wrote:

> These remarks made me take a closer look. In my naivete I thought the
> libraries would be supplied by Xft itself, so I only looked at where
> Xft put its files. However now I did a 'locate libXft.so' and lo and behold
> locate finds the following files:
>
>  /usr/lib/libXft.so.2
>  /usr/lib/libXft.so.2.0
>  /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.1
>  /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.1.2
>
> The first two from Xft-2.0.1 and the second two from XFree86-libs-4.2.0-72.
> So Red Hat ships both versions!

Yes, but they only ship the headerfiles for Xft2. The Xft1 libraries are
probably shipped to maintain compatiblity with precompiled applications
for earlier RH versions.

> My question now is: if the "correct" libs are available how can I
> go about compiling so that the linker does find them and openbox
> compiles with xft support.

Unless there is some compat packages you probably can't get openbox
to use Xft1 since the headerfiles are missing (atleast they are here
but then again my RH install is not a normal RH install it has been
tweaked for several years).

All I can say is that Openbox compiles and works OK with Xft2.

--
John Eckerdal                        the Assembly Gems page
                               http://www.df.lth.se/~john_e