[openbox] compiling openbox-2.1.2 on redhat-8.0

John Eckerdal john at hl.lu.se
Mon Oct 7 07:04:20 EDT 2002

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Alexander Volovics wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yesterday i tried to compile openbox-2.1.2 on redhat-8.0
> with xft support.
>
> I get a working openbox except for xft support.
> Configure claims it can't find XftFontOpenXlfd in -lXft.
>
> I have both Xft and Xft-devel installed.
> Can somebody who managed to get everything working on redhat-8.0
> please give me some suggestions on how to proceed.

Since RH (I use it myself) places Xft in a place where Openbox does
not look for it some tweaking has to be performed.

I did this by manually editing the two Makefiles after I ran configure.
I know, this is a hack but I don't know how the autoconf/automake stuff
works, someone with more knowledge with these two might have a better
(and more premanent soultion).

However:
in src/Makefile
find the LDFLAGS line and append `xft-config --libs` to it.
find the CXXFLAGS line and append `xft-config --cflags` to it.

in util/Make file
find the xftlsfonts_LDFLADS and append `xft-config --libs` to it.
find the CXXFLAGS and append `xft-config --cflags` to it.

Thats all I had to do.

--
John Eckerdal