[openbox] KDE configure options

James Harr james at grickle.org
Fri Oct 4 20:26:17 EDT 2002

Hey again,

Just got openbox running, I'm impressed. It'll take a while to get used to
it as I'm an old-time window-maker user. I needed something different.

I actually lied, I'm not starting it from my .xinitrc (although I should
create a hook in the Xsession so that kdm can have a "xinitrc" option).
I'm doing it from kdm. I'll probably end up setting up that xinitrc deal I
was talking about.

Thanks for the suggestion...

Later,
jh

Ben Jansens said:
> On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 01:58:56PM -0500, James Harr wrote:
>> Thanks,
>>
>> I think I'll use my .xinitrc file instead of modifying it globally for
>> everyone. I thought KDE had an option for window managers like gnome
>> does. You don't think it would be all that hard to implement..
>>
>> Hopefully they do sometime in the future.
>>

> The KDE developers see no reason why everyone doesnt run kwin, and so I
> don't think they will add this. In KDE 3.1 tho, youll be able to set the
> KDEWM environment variable and kde will use that if it is set
> instead of kwin.
>
> personally, ive found the best is to put this in my .xinitrc
>
> LD_BIND_NOW=true kdeinit +kcminit +knotify
> kicker & korgac & klipper &
> epist & exec openbox

>> but with openbox as the window manager.

>> you can select it in the config program, but I saw nothing like
>> that in kde.
>> >
>> > From /usr/bin/startkde, toward the end of the file
>> >
>> > # finally, give the session control to the session manager
>> > # Syntax:   ksmserver [--restore] [--windowmanager <wm>]
>> > # if no windowmanager is specified, ksmserver will ensure kwin is
>> started. # [--restore] should be controlled by kdm
>> > # kwrapper is used to reduce startup time and memory usage
>> > kwrapper ksmserver --restore || \
>> >   xmessage -geometry 500x100 "Couldn't start ksmserver. Check your
>> installation."
>> >

>> > so add --windowmanager openbox to that line.
>> >
>> > A lot of users, however, prefer not to run kde's fullblown services,
>> and they run kicker and/or kdesktop separately, together with
>> openbox. Whatever works for you.

> --
> I am damn unsatisfied to be killed in this way.

Thank You,
James Harr <james at grickle.org>