[openbox] Openbox bootstap (and configuration fails)

Marius Nita marius at cs.pdx.edu
Fri Nov 1 20:26:00 EST 2002

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 09:47:32AM +1030, Tim Riley wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 10:30, Marius Nita wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 03:55:22PM -0600, Ava Arachne Jarvis wrote:
> > > [John Eckerdal - Fri,  1 Nov 2002 02:56:51 AM CST]
> > >
> > > A library for OpenBox-type graphics?  That's awesome.  If there's one
> > > thing I always thought was insane about all bbtools is that every little
> > > tool or app reimplemented (or just included) the graphics code.  (Some
> > > bbtools only use the old BlackBox 0.50.xx code, even.)
> >
> > that's the idea. this will go further than just putting the graphics code in a
> > library however. it will provide high level drawing primitives, like buttons,
> > labels, text widgets, etc. basically, a very minuscule qt-like thing that
> > uses the openbox image code to create its pixmaps.
>
> Enough, perhaps, to write an openbox configuration tool?

probably not... we'll need to write a config tool in a real toolkit...

> How about menus?  I assume it wouldn't be too difficult to manufacture a
> widget-like menu system from the current code?

otk is intended to offer building blocks, like buttons, labels, text widgets,
pixmap widgets, etc. the new menus will be using these. blackbox menus are
HORRID--one of the main reasons that drove us to separate drawing from the wm.