[openbox] can I save the order of dockapps in the slit?

Ava Arachne Jarvis ajar at katanalynx.dyndns.org
Sat Dec 14 19:08:23 EST 2002

[Jon - Sat, 14 Dec 2002 05:43:01 PM CST]
> I am quite new to Linux and window managers. I have got a few dockapps
> going that start in ~/.xinitrc. I am wondering whether I can set the
> order in which these apps appear in the slit? All I know is that they
> don't load in the same order they are listed in .xinitrc. I searched for
> this but only found that fluxbox can do it.

Fluxbox has a feature that allows you to specify the order that dockapps
appear.

But when you first start dockapps, what you can do is initiate a delay
between starting each one -- such that the first one has time to map
into the slit before the second, and so on.  You can use a sleep 2 or
something similar between each command.

I have a little python script that does such a thing for a list of
dockapps and their commandline arguments.  It uses xtoolwait, although
xtoolwait is no help here because dockapps don't map as normal windows,
so it just ends up being a 2-second sleep anyways...

> Also, not openbox related I guess, but is it possible to save the
> windows that are open when I log out of X? Say I've got 2 xterms and
> mozilla open, can I have them come back next time?

That's a session management feature you're asking for.  So far as I
know, none of the Blackbox derivatives support this.  However, they
(including Openbox) can be used with desktop environments (GNOME, KDE)
that will do session management.