[obdgpslogger] Some questions

Gary Briggs chunky at icculus.org
Fri May 14 00:29:19 EDT 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 10:45:28AM -0500, Peter Buelow wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be getting this up and testing to some
> extent hopefully next week. I gotta admit to hating DBus as well (we use it
> extensively at work for automotive computing), but it's hard to argue
> against a solid distributed messaging scheme, even if the API is ugly and
> hard to manage (I'm using QT, and if it's hard to do in QT, then it's just
> damn ugly). I thought about scraping, but that leaves me with a lot of
> parser work I don't particularly like, plus having to invent my own
> notification system. And reading the DB means I either invent polling for
> it, or use a timer, which I don't like. The system is only 400 Mhz, and is
> actually going to be doing quite a bit of other stuff, so I'd like to keep
> the overhead small. BTW, this is being done with a Gumstix Verdex using OE.
> I'll send an OE recipe to you when I have one that works, for reference, as
> it might be useful to provide an OE version as well.

Cool, lemme know how that works out; I was looking at gumstix before as
a toy to fidget with, but it just ended up clocking in really expensive
for me by the time I bought all the bits I need.

What hardware did you get in total?

I'm interested in seeing the OE recipe. Please lemme know how it goes,
I'm always interested to see new exciting uses of my stuff!

Gary (-;