[obdgpslogger] Android app for OBD logging

Gary Briggs chunky at icculus.org
Mon Dec 13 18:51:41 EST 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 03:42:06PM -0500, Robert Konigsberg wrote:
> Not entirely relevant to your project, but I thought this was damn cool:
>
> http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/car/e661/?cpg=149H&link

Ooooo, the price on the kiwi went down.

I never really sorted out a "proper" 802.11b/g flavor of OBDII
logging. Bluetooth is implemented via RFCOMM, so it simply opens a /dev
entry as if it were a serial port. Same with RS232 and usbserial.

I did, however, implement a semi hokey solution via obdsim. It has a
"socket" generator plugin, so you can launch obdsim which connects to
the wifi OBDII dongle, and then connect obdgpslogger to that.

Of course, I wrote the code but never found out if it actually works
since I never got my hands on a wifi OBDII dongle.

Cool stuff, though. The guys that make the kiwi are, as I understand it,
really nice folk too

Gary