[mohaa] lag on my server

Mohaa Admin (vandrosthagen.net) mohaa at vandrosthagen.net
Fri Sep 10 14:38:17 EDT 2004

lag on my serverHi Micheal,

Question, what kind of network card are you using, there are a lot of networkcards (i know myself i had the poblem) who don't have a own hardware mod on it like a 3com or an intel. These cards are so called soft-network cards and when the have a lot of packets to handle they will fail.

For the cache part there are a lot of whitepapers out there who helped me alot bot cache in a linux/unix enviroment is hard to regelate because its build up of time. If a process is not used for a particuler time it is cached. These time frames are not tunable. See the whitepapers.

Here are some tuning parts who helped me to give my spearhead server a great boost. I hope it helps you to these setting come out of whitepapers. And you know google is your friend..;-)

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_timestamps
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_sack
echo 8388608 > /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max
echo 8388608 > /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max
echo "4096 87380 4194304" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_rmem
echo "4096 65536 4194304" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_wmem
ulimit -n 64000
echo 8192 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max
echo 24576 > /proc/sys/fs/inode-max

Regards