[mohaa] Server "hangs"

Robert Mount rmount at pobox.com
Tue Jun 29 11:36:24 EDT 2004

I agree that VPS is a bad idea.  All you need is one guy on that box to have
a runaway php process and your servers are totally hosed, and there's
nothing you can do about it.  Get your own box :-)

Also, i will add on more thing.  The company i rent servers from uses
Floodguard, to prevent DoS attacks.  My machines are Dual Xeons, 2 GB ram,
and running only six servers people were lagging.  I had them shut off
floodguard and now everything is perfect (and i'm running way more than six
servers per box!).  I'll also note that when i asked, my provider noted that
no packets were being dropped by floodguard.  Perhaps they were being
throttled, i don't know.  But that's something to ask about.

--Rob