[mohaa] realism and higher CPU?

Warren Woodward warrenw at xmission.com
Wed Jan 22 13:45:03 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 01:21:16PM -0500, Salsich, Luke wrote:
> Hey all........im getting the feeling im the only one on this list.
>
> Anyway, last week I reported having some major CPU spikes on my Spearhead
> TDM server. The average was around 60-70%, but it would spike up to 99% and
> then lock up the server. Well, this weekend I turned off the stock realism
> and placed a custom realism .pk3 mod into the 'mainta' file instead. I had
> no lockups over the weekend and the CPU usage never spiked above 75% and
> averaged around 35-50%. I didn't even make the connection until today
> because some of my clan members were saying they wanted the stock realism
> back. Early this morning I switched back to stock realism and deleted the
> custom .pk3 file. All morning the CPU on both my spearhead servers (TOW and
> TDM - I performed the exact same function on both) has been averaging over
> 80% and often hovers near max......
>
> Im wondering if anyone else has noticed this? Does anyone else run stock
> realism?
>
> Luke

Kinda.  I allow voting and notice that the kids are quite partial to
voting realism on.  It's also occured to me that I can never quite tell if
it's on or not, because it seems to behave differently level to level, as
though realism shuts off or just fails on certain maps.  I wonder if
you're onto something.

dual P2 900, 1.5 MB SDRAM, 10K RPM scsi Seagate, Spearhead uses anywhere
between 50%-99% of one of the CPUa at any given time, though never seems
to hang or lag or really even jitter much.

--
warren woodward
XMission DSL
warrenw at xmission.com
(801) 303-0819
(877) XMISSION

"The United States, as the world knows, will never start a war."
			-JFK, American University, June 10, 1963