weird stuff....

Luke Salsich lsalsich at cox.net
Wed Jan 15 19:33:49 EST 2003

Hey all,

I've been having some very strange stuff happening on my Spearhead
server the last two days. Last night the processor % usage hit 98% for
the spearhead process alone. The game was full all day (24 players),
then at around 6 pm the processor hit 98-99% usage again (PIV 2.0) and
disconnected all the players. The processor usage was a sudden Spike
from around 45% to 98%. I couldn't connect and the game wasn't listed in
gamespy, yet the process was still running on the server ('ps -a').
Soooo, I wanted to open the 'screen' that spearhead is running in to
look at the source. when I listed the screens on the server (screen -r),
it showed three (should only be two - one for spearhead and one for
rogerwilco): 'spearhead' and two others that weren't named. I tried to
re-attach the spearhead screen (screen -r xxxx tty.host) but it says
that this screen doesn't exist.......so I open one of the other two and
there is the game running. ?!!?!???

ok, maybe I just screwed up when I named the spearhead screen and
actually loaded it in the unnamed screen, right? Well, I figure the game
is cooked, so I might as well shut it down and restart the game. When I
'kill' the spearhead screen (figuring this isn't the one running the
game anyway, since the server stated that this screen didn't exist), the
game server goes down!!!! When I open the unnamed screen again, there is
the game data (no longer running obviously)?!?!?! huh????

ok....this makes no sense to me at all.....and I wont blame you if you
don't have a clue what I am saying. But has anyone seen anything like
this before???? I am concerned because if I made a mistake somewhere I
want to correct it so my server doesn't keep crashing and give me a bad
rep! two, if the game is doing this (how, I couldn't even guess), we
should look into it now before its too late!!!

-Luke