[mohaa] Spearhead server performance = very spiky

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Tue Feb 4 10:19:59 EST 2003

> I've been looking at our server performance graphs again and
> its become apparent that spearhead has a very unpredicable
> load. It bounces from 25 ->70% cpu load on a 2.5Ghz Xeon
> while at 20 players. In comparison to this the straight mohaa
> server uses about 1% per player with very little spiking.

I've gotten this report a lot with the spearhead beta. My initial thought
is that a "fix" I made is chewing up some CPU and fragmenting the address
space (basically, I ripped out a buggy memory pool and replace it with
straight malloc()/free() calls), but others are telling me that win32
spearhead just eats more CPU than win32 mohaa, so it's not surprising that
the Linux server follows suit.

Right now I'm (STILL) waiting on EA to send another codedrop. If that
doesn't help CPU usage, I've got a new friend called "oprofile":

     http://oprofile.sf.net/

...which will hopefully identify some bottlenecks (it already has on the
bf1942 server, and hopefully it'll figure out what's going on in
CTF-DE-ElecFields, too.  :)   ).

Anyhow, bedtime.

--ryan.