[mohaa] Spearhead expired??!?!?!?!?

[-SF-]Shockwave shockwave at clanshortfuse.com
Mon Feb 3 23:17:10 EST 2003

Hello Neil,

> Not condoning warez mind you, just want to keep the people happy. Where
> they get their software from is none of our business.

On the contrary, it is everyone's business.  Allowing illegal copies of the
software to function properly removes the incentive to purchase a legal copy
of the game.  I sincerely hope you don't derive income from the sale of
software you have written yourself because that would make you a hypocrite
as well as ignorant.  Anyone who can afford to own a gaming computer can
afford a legitimate copy of the game.  Turning a blind eye to this issue
won't make it go away.

The funny thing about capitalism is that if you take the profit out of the
equation, you take away the incentive to invest in projects like this.
Without the revenue from legitimate sales of a given software title, there
are no funds available to pay the programmers who create the games, much
less people like Ryan who create these Linux versions.  No financial backing
means no new flashy game titles.  It's really that simple.  This isn't a
case of people not being able to afford to pay.  This is about pathetic
losers who feel they deserve something for nothing.

> How would we then go about setting it so that, in theory of course, ...

This isn't about theory at all.  Helping to facilitate the use of illegal
software would technically make you an accessory.  You speak of how this is
a request from your "client" which denotes a business relationship of some
kind.  Perhaps you feel that it's OK for you to make money from the game
instead of the people who actually brought it to market.  That would be most
interesting indeed.  I bet you wouldn't be so cavalier if your clients could
get away with using your hosting services without paying for them.

Shockwave