[mohaa] Spearhead expired??!?!?!?!?

Neil A. Twa neil at twastudios.com
Mon Feb 3 11:53:27 EST 2003

You might have a point. It appears to be working in conjunction with the
master servers. I imagine if you pull your GameSpy and 2015 and EA reports
off the list of master servers, you would probably find that it works just
fine. Have ppl connect directly with IP and see if that does not fix it.

Something must have changed in the BETA2 copy. It was the day that I
upgraded when I had the problem.

>>As far as I know BETA2 is the same BETA1 but
>>with an extended expires
>>date as BETA1 has expired so just use BETA2.
>
> Or is it? Maybe Ryan incorporated some new code from EA since the time
> BETA1 was released... dunno.
>
> What *really* bugs me is the fact that some pirate copies are let in
> with no problems, while some valid copies (like mine and some other
> guys' in this list) are left out in the cold. This new protection scheme
> jsut doesn't work right. Several tests have proven that.
>
> But how does it work? The two most likely possibilities that come to my
> mind are:
>
> 1. The server tries to contact some EA server to check the CD key. 2.
> There's a static blacklist in the server code.
>
> Ryan, can you shed some light on this?
>

> []s,
> Marcello Pires Alves
> mpalves at email.com.br