[mohaa] CPU hogging (Was: [mohaa] Why is it so quit overhere)

Eric Koldeweij eric at no-sense.net
Wed Apr 30 07:04:26 EDT 2003

I wasn't complaining about lag, I was complaining about the ridiculous
CPU usage :)
Having a server in a 19" rack with a good bandwidth is pretty costly and
right now mine is pretty much filled up with just the Spearhead server.
Therefore I cannot rent out space on it for other (game) services. Even
with an upgrade to a P4 there is little room to spare. I have run
16-player Quake3 servers (same engine!!) on a PII-333 and there was no
problem at all.

I will manage, but I think with this CPU usage renting Spearhead servers
(on commercial game services like Jolt for instance) will be too costly
for most gamers and clans and thus is bad news for the game.

And for crashing, I run 2.11 and I have never experienced a single
crash. Only 2.15 crashes at map changes. I just restart it now and then
to restore the settings screwed up by voters :)

Eric.