[mohaa] Server Requirements

Eric Koldeweij eric at no-sense.net
Wed Apr 23 06:09:44 EDT 2003

I don't measure it. I take the server's sv_maxRate value, cause MOHAA
will never go above that (I hope ;) )
Data transfer is most of the time very low (like 1Kbyte/sec) but once in
a while a whole bunch of data needs to be sent. Like when there's a lot
of action going on etc. A lot of action means many players involved and
thus that the bunch of data needs to be sent to lotsa clients.
As far as I know (I don't know the Quake3 engine, but I do know Quake2 a
bit, I assume it's the same idea) there is 1 socket (queue) for all
outgoing client traffic. So once this queue gets filled faster than it
can be emptied (by sending the packets out) everyone experiences lag.

Besides, my problem is CPU, not network (Celeron 1700 is too little for
2 fully-loaded MOHAA servers) so I don't waste CPU time by running
statistics stuff :)

One unrelated remark, I cannot understand how one high-ping client can
cause lag for others. Maybe someone can explain?

Eric.