[mohaa] Server Requirements

Eduardo E. Silva esilva at silvex.com
Wed Apr 23 00:23:29 EDT 2003

Eric Koldeweij said:
> Some remarks:
>
> Eduardo E. Silva wrote:
>
>>4.- I have never gone past 40k bytes per second (upstream) EVEN with 11
>>players.
>>
> Of course not, your uplink cannot handle more :)
  My uplink is 768kbps (kil bits per second) which I think is about 768/8
= 96KBps (Kilo Bytes per second). So I still have about 40KB left for
band width.

I have measured my bandwidth to be about 3KB-4KB on a 100mbps LAN hooked
to a switch with the server -- both are in full duplex mode. When I do a
status with RCON my PC's rate shows to be 30000. Is this is in bits or
bytes ? If it is bits, then 30000/8 = 3750 which reflects the measurement
of 3KB-4KB I did above.

Assuming a *cough* 'perfect' connection from clients to my server on the
cable modem. 768kbps/30kbps = 25 players -- 'MAX'.

>>question for Ryan:
>>
>> Why does MOHAA pumps more thru the upstream than down stream ? It seems
>>like for every byte it receives it send two. If this the way it is or is
>>it a 'bug' ?
>>
> If you think hard enough you will find the answer yourself........
>
> No?
>
> Ok here it is.
>  From server point of view, the downstreams are clients.  Each client
> needs to transfer just a little bit to the server, namely the client's
> deltas (changes in movement, position etc) But the server needs to send
> the deltas of ALL players/clients back to EACH client. If they hadn't
> built in tricks you'd have 20 times more upstream than downstream (on a
> 20-player server). Consider yourself lucky they managed to bring it down
> to 2:1 :)
>
> Eric.

Pretty lucky indeed...;)

--