[mohaa] Server Requirements

Eric Koldeweij eric at no-sense.net
Tue Apr 22 18:31:38 EDT 2003

Some remarks:

Eduardo E. Silva wrote:

>4.- I have never gone past 40k bytes per second (upstream) EVEN with 11
>players.

Of course not, your uplink cannot handle more :)

>question for Ryan:
>
> Why does MOHAA pumps more thru the upstream than down stream ? It seems
>like for every byte it receives it send two. If this the way it is or is
>it a 'bug' ?

If you think hard enough you will find the answer yourself........

No?

Ok here it is.
 From server point of view, the downstreams are clients.  Each client
needs to transfer just a little bit to the server, namely the client's
deltas (changes in movement, position etc) But the server needs to send
the deltas of ALL players/clients back to EACH client. If they hadn't
built in tricks you'd have 20 times more upstream than downstream (on a
20-player server). Consider yourself lucky they managed to bring it down
to 2:1 :)

Eric.