Running from a dual-boot read-only system

Robert Mount rmount at pobox.com
Tue Apr 22 16:44:06 EDT 2003

Hi Folks,

Thought i'd share my experience with a Dual-boot system.  My apologies if
someone has covered this topic, i've only been on the list about two weeks.

Got a new laptop at work (WinXP).  Installed MOH Spearhead which runs like a
charm.  Also created a Linux partition (Mandrake 9.1) and Lilo for boot
manager.  When i boot into linux, Mandrake is kind enough to mount my NTFS
partition in read-only mode (/mnt/win-c/ in my case).

Back in WinXP, i copied in the linux spearhead binary and the pk3s, reboot
to linux, change to /mnt/win-c/Program Files/EA Games/Mohaa/ and start the
server.  Everything works great, all the config files need to be edited in
Windows (of course) and i'm not doing any logging.  It's really that simple,
but if anyone wants details, let me know.

Mandrake will also mount Fat32/Fat16 partitions in read-write mode, so
logging, edit of configs, etc should work fine if you've got a Fat32/16
partition.

So, has anyone got an Xbox with working linux that can burn Mohaa to a DVD
and test the server?  That would be a kick-ass cheap server platform.

--Rob