[mohaa] Server Requirements

Jake Thiessen jake.t at sympatico.ca
Tue Apr 22 12:15:56 EDT 2003

To previous post about P4 2.5 and this one

I've done tests and found that you need about 30 Kbps per client UPLOAD.

DSL lines are 1Mbps down, 128kpbs UP can be as high as 640kbs
Cable lines are 1Mbps down, 256kpbs or 512Kbps UP can be as high as 640kpbs

at that rate a normal DSL connection

128 /30 is about 4 to 5 clients before mohaa will get laggy
@ 640kbps it should handle about 20, if there is no ISP lag (like in Cable)

if you want more than that, you can have a rocket ship and still be laggy,
it doesn't matter.

cpu cycle time from a linux or win32 box is minimal for speed of game.

things you can do to squeeze a faster system;

1. use NICs that do their own IO without processor time (3com, intel,
broadcom) no cheap realteks
2. map loads significantly speed up with SCSI drives
3. memory memory memory

all that is for the dogs, if you don't have BANDWIDTH.

don't spend your money on a super system and processor if you're not going
to have BW.

Jake