[mohaa] About Ping and PL

[-SF-]Shockwave shockwave at clanshortfuse.com
Sat Sep 28 10:56:26 EDT 2002

Hello geno,

Whenever I run into problems like this, I find it's best to go back to basics.  The first thing I would try to identify is whether the high ping and packet loss are actually only present when the game server is running.  Your problem might not be with the game server at all.  For example, I have seen occasions where a server has been acting like this on my LAN, but it was due to a bad network cable.  Try pinging the Linux system without the game server running and see if the problems exist.  You should also ensure that your system isn't running too many other applications, other than the game server, which are utilizing needed system resources and that you aren't dipping into your system's swap file to run the game.  Another thing you might consider is trying to run a different network application on the system and see if it too exhibits these symptoms.  I'll wager that it has something to do with your hardware or your specific system configuration.  As a footnote, I have been successfully running the game server on my system without any problems using the following configuration:

RedHat 7.2 - stock load
PIII-800
384MB PC133 RAM
T3 Internet connection