[mohaa] multi ports

scratch scratch at xmission.com
Thu Sep 12 03:32:23 EDT 2002

Is this getting too off topic for this list?  I didn't really intend to
create a thread like this, and I'm sure anyone interested can move it
elsewhere.  Let us know.

> You make an excellent point.  I had thought about possibly adding the
> ability to ban players like this, but I wasn't sure how far I should go
with
> it.  I could theoretically allow a simple case-insensitive string match,
or
> I could go to the other extreme and try to implement a more robust pattern
> matching capability.

Actually, I think it would work best as a case-insensitive string match.
Offhand, I can think of two reasons this is better.  1) following my
previous example, that (kor) clan of idiots tend to show up as "(kor),
(Kor), (KoR), {k0r}", ad naseaum, and it would partially simplify the
filters if I didn't have to worry about case structure, and 2) having an
unspecific string match allows the admin to nuke anyone with certain words
in their nick -- and we all know how creative pubescents can be.  Crow Kings
works this way, and it's effective.  It's also nice to be able to keep
players from tagging their nicks with "admin" or "console" and then
threatening to ban anyone who kills them, another all too common practice.

> I'm not sure if I understand the term "nick stealer".  Could you explain
> this a little further?

Its a minor issue, but can be useful.  Some more harassing players like to
join with the nick of someone already in the game, then begin to impersonate
them.  Who the hell knows why -- lack of dates, I think.  It would be great
if the tool checked existing player names upon a new join, and disallowed a
name that already exists.  And as Mazzik just mentioned, nick registration
can be a cool tool, too.  I occasionally get email from people who thought
they were talking to me in the game, when in fact it was just some punk
pretending to be me.  And all too clear in my mind are memories of my
Counter Strike server, which would get swamped with players pretending to me
one of the admins once they figured out none was actually present.

This all is, again, quite secondary.  The top of my wish list is auto-TK
detection.  I'd like to be able to leave my server alone for a couple hours
and not have to worry about the TK'ers that are inevitably taking over.

You da man.

warren