[mohaa] multi ports

Warren Woodward warrenw at xmission.com
Wed Sep 11 12:26:36 EDT 2002

My primary reason on banning by name is to keep certain words and phrases
taboo.  You know how it is, you spend all this time running a good, clean,
fair server that everyone enjoys, and suddenly someone named "CuntFace"
joins and kinds throws all your work out the window.  There are also some
clan-based idiots I like to keep away.  For example, there is some group
named (kor) that likes to join as a bunch and start mowing down their
teammates.  With CrowKing's, I simply entered (kor) as a banned name, and
that way they at least can't play as a group which seems to be
discouraging enough.  I just found the name banning to be useful for
things like this.  Thought I'd toss it out there for ya.

One other side note, Crow's also has the ability to auto-kick nick
stealers, which is really nice, too.  Something you might want to consider
for future releases.

Now the other thing.  I may have been unclear.  What seems to be happening
is that the admin tool appears to randomly send multiple commands to the
console.  When I said it then "locks up", I was referring specifically to
the "status" command it sends at regular intervals, which occasionally
spews out in 5 to 10 immediately successive executions (so the console
suddenly gets pages of status) and then stops sending that command
altogether for an undetermined period of time.  Perhaps a better example
is something I observed last night.  "MadIrishman" was pouring lead into
his teammates at the spawn point, so I took the chance to test out the ban
in public, which worked perfectly.  And I had altered the Kick message in
the admin file (not the config)to say "is now a banned l0ser.".  When the
level reloaded and he was removed, this happened:

broadcast: print "MAD IRISHMAN was kicked\n"
Going to CS_ZOMBIE for MAD IRISHMAN
broadcast: print "^Bconsole: MAD IRISHMAN is now a banned l0ser.\n"
broadcast: print "^Bconsole: MAD IRISHMAN is now a banned l0ser.\n"
broadcast: print "^Bconsole: MAD IRISHMAN is now a banned l0ser.\n"
broadcast: print "^Bconsole: MAD IRISHMAN is now a banned l0ser.\n"
broadcast: print "^Bconsole: MAD IRISHMAN is now a banned l0ser.\n"
broadcast: print "^Bconsole: MAD IRISHMAN is now a banned l0ser.\n"
broadcast: print "^Bconsole: MAD IRISHMAN is now a banned l0ser.\n"
broadcast: print "^Bconsole: MAD IRISHMAN is now a banned l0ser.\n"
broadcast: print "^Bconsole: MAD IRISHMAN is now a banned l0ser.\n"
broadcast: print "^Bconsole: MAD IRISHMAN is now a banned l0ser.\n"
broadcast: print "^Bconsole: MAD IRISHMAN is now a banned l0ser.\n"
broadcast: print "^Bconsole: MAD IRISHMAN is now a banned l0ser.\n"

12 instances of it.  Which, frankly, was kind of cool, because everyone in
the server definately saw it. :)  But still, it's a good representation of
the way these commands are getting send in multi-sequence to the console
for some reason.  I did find two instances of the client and the tail
running during these periods, but can't observe a direct correlation
between this.

Anyway, I can provide whatever specifics you would like.

As to the installation, nah, I think it was pretty straightforward.  Lord
knows I was having a busy day, and the half-attention I could provide to
the project was 80% responsible to my misunderstandings of it's function.
I suppose a newbie step-by-step walkthrough would help people, but outside
that I really have no suggestions that you aren't probably already
considering.

Again, this rules.  I'm really pleased with it.  We have a slew of other
MOH servers here at XMission, and I'm turning the other admins onto this
tool.  They're pleased with the features in this early release.

 --
warren woodward
XMission DSL
warrenw at xmission.com