[mohaa] Admin tool ready for testing

Warren Woodward warrenw at xmission.com
Mon Sep 9 14:54:30 EDT 2002

This looks great.  Naturally, I have about a hundred questions, and seeing
as there is so much interest here, and it all pretty well pertains to the
linux ded server we're all using, I'm gonna ask them here in public.

Ok, so I spent about an hour tweaking this for my default port server
(a Team DM) and it *seems* to be up and running.  Now, I'm not a Perl
jockey, and far from an expert on this engine, so forgive me in advance
for my spectacular failures in interpreting all your work.

I'm old and set in my ways, I guess, so naturally the default config this
ships with wasn't exactly what I wanted, so I have tried to juryrig it to
my needs, and this is probably causing more problems.  First off, I'm an
addict of "admin".  I use this to screen all my game servers so I can
attach to the console from anywhere (I use "screen -mDS moh0" for this
particular server).  So, am I right that the client is kind of the same
thing?  Only problem is that I can't really figure out what the client is
supposed to do, expect tail the filtered console output.  I use admin to
stats, kick, clientkick, say, etc.  What I did here was exit the PROGRAM
field to start with "screen -mds moh0" at the start, and this seems to
have worked normally.  I guess I'm just a little confused about the
purpose of the client and whether or not I've disabled some function by
this action.  Are there commands not yet invoked in this beta?

The other problem I'm having, and this may be fairly important, is that
though the mohaa_admin util is running, outside of launching the game it
seems to be doing nothing else whatsoever.  Since players are fickle as
all get out, none of them have yet bothered to reenter the game since I
brought it down to play with all this stuff, so I've so far had no real
chance to watch it in action.  But I've fired up a game client on my
laptop and I've been watching for server messages (none), and for
curiosity sake I added the IP of the laptop to the ban.cfg and rejoined
with no problem (I tried to exec the config from the console, and it's no
likey).  I guess the short question to this tome would be.. um, what is it
supposed to be doing?  Seems it's launched the game, and that's about it.

Incidentally, have you had any issues with multiple copies of the admin
tool running on one machine?  I don't forsee any, I was just going to
build a second config and rename everything accoudingly and launch away.

And, er.. there were more quesitons, but this is probably enough to keep
you busy for a while.  I'll leave it there for now.

Again, kudos.

warren -