[mohaa] Admin tool ready for testing

ServeItUp-Ryan ryan at serveitup.com
Mon Sep 9 10:33:00 EDT 2002

Me as well..

-----Original Message-----
From: Jackie Lee Choon Yau [mailto:jackie at hwzcorp.com]
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 1:54 AM
To: mohaa at icculus.org
Subject: RE: [mohaa] Admin tool ready for testing

i am most keen to try it on my server.
Please deliver the package

Jackie
Medal of Honour: Allied Assault v1.11
Server: gs1.gameaxis.com:12203

 -----Original Message-----
From: [-SF-]Shockwave [mailto:shockwave at clanshortfuse.com]
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 12:44 PM
To: mohaa at icculus.org
Subject: [mohaa] Admin tool ready for testing
Hello all,

I am happy to announce that the programs I have been working on lately
are now ready for testing.  I have just finished testing the
modification I have made to the client utility and everything seems to
be working well.  Here is a list of the client utility features
programmed so far:

- Configuration file
    Like its server counterpart, this program also utilizes a
configuration file.  Here is a copy:

#
#  MOHAA Linux Server Admin Tool - Client Configuration File
#
#  - All characters after a "#" on a line are comments and will be
ignored.
#  - All blank lines will be ignored.
#  - The only option that must be specified in this file is PROGRAM.
Without
#    it, the loader cannot operate.  All other settings have defaults
already
#    specified within the loader itself.
#

#
# Specify the starting value for terminal filtering state.  The state
must
# either be set to ENABLED or DISABLED.  Disabling content filtering
will allow
# all server log output to be printed to the terminal screen regardless
of the
# filter mode selected.
#
FILTER_STATE = ENABLED

#
# Specify the starting value for terminal content filtering mode.  The
filter
# mode must be set to one of the following:
#
#    ALL - All server output to the terminal will be suppressed.
# NORMAL - Normal filtering will be used.  This setting suppresses most
#          messages from the server that aren't very important unless
you
#          are trying to debug.  You will still see chat and broadcasts,
#          kill/death, connection/disconnection, status displays, most
server
#          initialization lines, as well as messages that don't show up
too
#          often.
#   CHAT - This mode suppresses everything except chat and broadcast
messages.
#
FILTER_MODE = NORMAL

#############################
#
#  E O F
    It's a little sparse right now, but I hope to add some additional
features to it soon.  I had the beginnings of a system that allowed
custom user filtering but I decided to pull it for now so I could
release something and get some test results.  I settled for enhancing
the NORMAL filter mode so that only a reasonable amount of feedback
makes it to the terminal.

- Command line overrides
    Options can be placed on the command line to override program
defaults not handled by the configuration file.  Here is the output
generated by invoking the client's --help option:

Usage: mohaa_client [--host host] [--port port] [--cfg filename] [--log
filename]
       mohaa_client --defaults
       mohaa_client --version
       mohaa_client --help

        --host   IP address or host name: name must resolve to an IP
address
                   (e.g. localhost  or  192.168.1.1  or
www.myserver.com)
        --port   port number
        --cfg    path to configuration file, including filename itself
                   (e.g.  /usr/local/games/MOHAA/your_client_config.cfg)
        --log    path to game server log file, including filename itself
                   (e.g.  /usr/local/games/MOHAA/server.log)

        --defaults
            prints current program defaults and exits
        --version
            prints current program version and exits
        --help
            prints this usage information and exits

- Dynamic filtering commands
    You have the ability to issue commands to the client utility to
instantly change filtering settings.  I had some issues trying to share
variables between processes and unfortunately the most direct solution
was to use some downloaded CPAN modules and risk operating system
support issues.  I decided to keep the code to stock modules in order to
mitigate the possibility of compatibility problems and ended up
incorporating a named FIFO pipe unique to each client process for
handling I/O between processes.  It worked rather well.  Here is the
list of commands I have added so far:

*** Client Utility Commands
    ===========================
    /?  or  /help  -  display this help text
     /?f  or  /f?  -  display current terminal filter settings
            /f on  -  ENABLE terminal filtering
           /f off  -  DISABLE terminal filtering
           /f all  -  set terminal filter mode to ALL
          /f chat  -  set terminal filter mode to CHAT
          /f norm  -  set terminal filter mode to NORMAL

I've created a tar archive of the necessary files and gzipped it.  The
whole thing weighs in at about 8.5K and contains the following files:

13926 2002-09-08 23:27:08 ./bin/mohaa_admin
11890 2002-09-09 00:11:43 ./bin/mohaa_client
4433 2002-09-08 23:32:09 ./mohaa_admin.cfg
1388 2002-09-08 23:32:27 ./mohaa_client.cfg
202 2002-09-08 23:29:34 ./ban.cfg
799 2002-09-08 23:38:54 ./README.txt
I haven't spent a lot of time writing up information, but I hopefully
did enough to make it usable.  I'll be happy to work with anyone
interested in testing and will provide as much additional support and
explanation as I can.  Anyone who is still interested should email me
directly at the following address to arrange delivery:

shockwave at clanshortfuse.com

My first priority will be to fix any bugs or issues with the current
feature set.  Assuming the testing progresses smoothly, I plan on adding
TK auto-kick capability to the next versions as well as a few other
things that have been mentioned.  As always your comments and ideas are
welcome.  Thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to offer
feedback and help.

Shockwave