Server Admin Tool v1.1 beta

[-SF-]Shockwave shockwave at clanshortfuse.com
Tue Oct 1 17:52:29 EDT 2002

Hello everyone!

I have just finished testing the latest versions of the server administration tool and client programs and I think they are stable to release for beta testing.  The latest programs contain all of the fixes and changes I mentioned earlier, as well as the new TK monitor.  I will be assembling some additional documentation for both over the next day or so in order to fill everyone in on all the new changes.  Since the paint isn't dry yet, I figured I would take a minute and outline how the Team Kill logic works in its current form.

TK Monitor features
================
- custom message templates with insert codes
    The messaging system has been altered to use insert codes to allow for greater flexibility and ease of use.  Codes like <KILLER> and <VICTIM> allow for more possibilities when creating message text.  Insert codes are also completely optional.

- kick, kick/ban, and ban modes of operation
    The administrator can choose one of three operating modes, each with its own independent threshold setting.  Kick simply kicks the TK'er, kick/ban kicks the TK'er until the kick threshold has been reached and then the ban logic is activated, and the ban mode bans TK'ers.  Currently, TK's are logged for each player by IP address and are remembered until the map changes, TK kicks are remembered until the server quits, and TK bans are permanent.  TK counts are maintained as long as the current map is in play, even if players disconnect and reconnect, or change their names.

- automatic IP ban logging
    Any time that a player is banned by the TK monitor, the IP address is logged in the ban.cfg file.  The tool is also capable of allowing IP and name ban information to be manipulated using the client program in real-time.  Manually editing the ban.cfg file is no longer necessary but is still an option.

- multiple message strings
    The server messages are all customizable and can even be suppressed if desired.  Below are the current defaults:

    TK_MSG = TEAMKILL: <KILLER> killed teammate <VICTIM>!!!
    TK_KICK_WARN_MSG = <KILLER> will be kicked after <CHANCES> more violations.
    TK_KICK_LAST_MSG = <KILLER> will be kicked if another violation occurs!
    TK_KICK_MSG = <KILLER> has been kicked for violating team kill rules.
    TK_KB_WARN_MSG = <KILLER> will face being banned after <CHANCES> more kicks.
    TK_KB_LAST_MSG = This will be the last time <KILLER> is merely kicked!
    TK_BAN_WARN_MSG = <KILLER> will be banned after <CHANCES> more violations.
    TK_BAN_LAST_MSG = <KILLER> will be banned if another violation occurs!
    TK_BAN_MSG = <KILLER> has been banned for violating team kill rules.

    The server configuration file has descriptions of what each one does and when it is used.  The TK_KICK_* and TK_BAN_* messages are used by the kick and ban modes respectively.  The TK_KB_* messages are used when the kick/ban logic is enabled and are displayed right after the player has only a single chance remaining before disciplinary action is taken to minimize message clutter.  In order to side-step the need to use items like "offense(s)" or "violation(s)" in messages, I have split the different messages into two separate entities.  The TK_*_WARN_MSG variables are used when there are multiple chances left, and the TK_*_LAST_MSG variables are used when there is only one chance remaining.  I wanted to not only give everyone as much flexibility as possible, but also to make it as slick as I could.

- server monitor logging option
    In order to thoroughly test the TK logic, I had to insert a bunch of code to print out information when certain events occurred.  After using it for a while, I decided to make it an option in the configuration file.  MONITOR_LOG and MONITOR_LOG_FILE are two options that can be set to activate and specify filename respectively.  The output is comprised of almost every raw game server log entry with monitoring data included.  Each monitor log entry starts with "**" and different types of messages have a different third character to make it easy to grep for errors, other messages, or monitor output only.

I have spent a lot of time testing and watching the logs to ensure that no innocent players are ever accused of team killing, and the results have been excellent.  So far I have had ample traffic on the server and no false TK messages have resulted.  Anyone else who is interested in testing the TK detection logic simply needs to enable the monitor log without enabling team damage.  That's how I tested it.  Once you are confident that the death messages are being processed properly, you can enable the TK monitor.

I had originally planned to implement some additional features based on the suggestions I have received, but I decided it might be better to release the programs for testing and see what the consensus is after other admins have had a chance to fiddle with them.  While I'm working on the documentation for the new program changes made to both the server and client programs, I'm interested in hearing any comments, questions and suggestions that there may be.  This will help me make any last minute changes that might be needed as well as ensure the documentation covers the majority of questions admins will have.

I'll be releasing the beta to any of the original beta testers who are interested in trying it.  Assuming everything goes well, I'll release it to the general public after that.  Thanks again to everyone who has helped me with this project so far.  I'm definitely looking forward to the feedback on this new version.

Shockwave