[mohaa] cheats detection

[-SF-]Shockwave shockwave at clanshortfuse.com
Wed Nov 27 12:12:21 EST 2002

Hello Sander,

> I heard it has a autokick system in it for teamkillers.
> But i haven't tried it yet, so the rumours might be only rumours :D
>
> But i sure hope it has got a autokick system, should improve the game
alot!!

It's true that Spearhead has a feature for kicking TK'ers, but I don't think
it has the ability to automatically ban them.  The problem I used to have
was that players would get on the server, TK a bunch of other players and
get kicked, then they would simply type "reconnect" into their console and
start the whole process over again.  This is why I added an automatic ban
feature to my MOH:AA administration tool.  It helps keep repeat offenders
from plaguing the server when you're not around to ban them.  Ryan has said
that there will be some changes in the upcoming Linux version of Spearhead
that will allow for easier detection and handling of TK events.  As soon as
it is available, I'll be making the adjustments to my program to take
advantage of these new features and extend automatic TK banning to Spearhead
too.  Right now, if you're running MOH:AA TDM, I can provide auto-kick annd
auto-ban capability to your Linux MOH:AA server if you're interested.
Here's the link:

http://www.clanshortfuse.com/projects.shtml

Regarding "sv_pure", it is NOT working.  Chris Chelton, one of the EA
developers, said that it should be functional with their next Spearhead
patch.  Here's a link to his comments:

http://mohadmin.com/nuke/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=252

If it were working like it was supposed to in MOH:AA, then a lot of these
cheat skins wouldn't be the problem they are today.  I'm also surprised that
they allowed the clients to activate cheats and still join a multiplayer
server at all.  It boggles my mind that they would let that one slip.  The
"sv_pure" feature only ensures nobody tries to use a hacked package that is
named the same as a legitimate one.  In order to catch the other hacks,
they'll either have to disable the activation of cheats entirely or allow a
"dumpuser" to indicate that the client has activated them.  I initially
thought that "+set cheats 0" for the server would do it.  Oh well.

Shockwave