[mohaa] "Spawn Hack" and server crashes

[-SF-]Shockwave shockwave at clanshortfuse.com
Mon Nov 4 09:34:38 EST 2002

Hello everyone,

The sv_pure setting is supposed to be fixed in the expansion pack from what
I've heard.  I've also had a chance to talk to the developers of the fix for
the spawn hack and I am in the process of testing the fix myself.  The
problem stems from the ability of the client to invoke a developer menu
command that allows items to be spawned while the game is running.  The
potential fix obfuscates this and other related commands in an attempt to
make them inaccessible.  I'll let everyone know the results of my testing as
soon as I have finished.

Another little tidbit I found is that the following command can show some
interesting information about a player:

dumpuser playername

If the player's name has spaces in it, be sure to include it in quotation
marks like this:

dumpuser "player name"

Players who employ illegal skins and settings to their client program that
adjust the graphics to give them an edge will have these settings appear in
the information displayed by the dumpuser command.  Once identified, a
player can be warned/kicked/banned for using these modifications.  I know
that DELATOR helps with detecting illegal skins and I believe DogTagz helps
deal with players who rename illegal skins to legal skin names in an attempt
to circumvent existing detection tools.

With any luck, sv_pure will alleviate some of these problems.  We'll have to
see when the expansion pack comes out.  I am confident that Ryan and the
other developers at EA will come through for us.  They've done a spectacular
job so far.

Shockwave