[mohaa] "Spawn Hack" and server crashes

Richard Harrison richardnharrison at btinternet.com
Sun Nov 3 10:30:50 EST 2002

As a sort of aside I am a little but unsure my self on the whole "security
by obscurity" thing works for games. It seems that not publishing the
knowledge of the 'hack' gives the game manufacturers no incentive to bring
out a patch because the knowledge is not widespread. It is however within a
significant minority to cause pain for the general populous. If the
manufacturers are told before hand that there's a problem, here's how its
done, its repeatable and I am going to post it, then they would have to do
something. This is how the bugs are announced generally for such os's as
Windows. The manufacturers get a chance to fix it before the general public
get wind of how to do it. Why should games be different? I am monumentally
naive  about this?

Hazzie.