[mohaa] System requirements

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Tue Jul 16 13:05:11 EDT 2002

> now that the linux server is out, i'll get a dedicated linux machine. so =
> i must decide what system i need. i can get a 1 GHz Duron, 256 MB SDRAM =
> for =E2=82=AC 25 a month. is this too slow for a MOH-server? let's say =
> 16 players or so. i could imagine running a second server for 2on2 games =
> for my clan at the same time. is this possible? i think i'd better get a =
> 2 x 1GHz Intel PIII, 512 MB RAM machine, which costs =E2=82=AC50 a =
> month, but it would be much better! because i culd run a CS server on it =
> at the same time :D
> hmm, any comments on this?

The server isn't _very_ resource hungry, but of course, faster is better.
1GHz should definitely cover a dedicated server, and probably several.
Dual processors definitely wouldn't hurt. RAM is more important than CPU
power.

The Cyberspace Matrix (one of the initial testing centers) was running two
copies of the game simulatenously on the same rackmount...the second copy
will fail to open the first UDP port (since the first copy has possession
of it), but it will happily fall back to that UDP port + 1. It will try to
fallback ten times (UDP port + 10)...after that, you'd have to change the
port with a cvar (+set net_port, I think...).

I don't have specifics of how much resources a loaded game takes up, but
if anyone checks this out, please report back here so we know.

We had one copy of the game, symlinked to two directories (just in case),
but you should be able to safely run multiple copies out of one
directory...make sure you use the fs_userpath and fs_outputpath cvars so
the games don't scribble over each other's logfiles.

--ryan.