[mohaa] Re:

Charles dna at home.martnet.com
Thu Aug 29 07:30:04 EDT 2002

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Sander de Hond wrote:

> I've set the max players back to 14 (it was 18) and i'm gonna set maxping to
> 400 and maxrate to 10000. What's the difference between those two ? maxrate
> and ping ?

Hello..

Maxrate is the amount of information that the client sends/receives to
talk to the server..  Consider a resolution or sorts.  The lower you set
the maxrate, the less traffic is required to go back and forth between
client and server.

Ping is just a measurement of the time it takes for information to go from
server to client and vice versa..

As for lags, what does you load average look like?  If this box is nothing
but a game server, have someone you trust that knows the inner workings of
the machine go in and audit your kernel.  Turning off any un-needed
processes might drastically improve your memory usage and/or processor
time.

Just to give you an idea, we run dual 1.5 ghz machines with debian 3
(stable) installed and a custom compiled 2.4.4 kernel.  I'm able to run
12-16 dedicated servers at the default max-rate each with 16 or under
players before the load average reaches 5.  (these aren't all Moh though,
but they're all q3 engine based - sof2, rtcw, q3, jk2, etc.)

Charles Rehill
Martnet Support

                                martnet.com
                              "Get Hooked Up"

Customer Care Center:  888.530.3552 (toll free)   215.551.3552 (in Philly)
                       sales at martnet.com          support at martnet.com
                       PO Box 42472  Philadelphia, PA 19101

             Domain transfer and registration for ONLY $15/year!
                  http://www.martnet.com/services/whois.php

                 Refer your friends to Martnet and get $$$$!
               http://www.martnet.com/services/referral.shtml