[mohaa] Cobalt RAQ4i with 512Mb

Wesley Bear stratusfearx13 at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 9 20:06:02 EDT 2002

I used to run my ded. servers on a system similar to that, except it had
64 MB of ram...  everything ran pretty well on that machine; as far as
Quake 3, it could handle a load of around 6-8 people.  Then I had a K6-2
400 with 384, that ran a JK2 server with 10+ people, no hiccups.  I now
run my servers on a P3 533 with 512 MB of ram, which I really didn't
need to buy, but I got too good of a deal on it, couldn't pass it up :)
I had my 533 at a lan party the other day, 8 people in MOH, Quake 3, JK2
and a couple others.  MOH which seems to use the most memory and CPU
power of any ran smoothly, with the highest ping being 15ms.  That was
with two four port switches and a five port hub all daisy-chained
together, the 15ms guy was on the hub with three other people, server
was on a switch...honestly I think the 800 MHz stated in one of the
other mails is a little overkill for just a dedicated game server (even
MOHAA).  You play games on 800's and up, not host them :)