[mohaa] curious behavior

Charles "BedMan" Bedford bedman at quakecon.org
Wed Aug 7 10:22:17 EDT 2002

Depends on the app.  There are positives and negatives for most of the
operating systems you can find.

Solaris is typically slower than Linux or BSD on PC's, because it's designed
for SPARC in general, but also because it's a monolithic kernel and has a
great deal of services built into it.

Linux has a lot of support, and is a relatively small footprint for the
kernel (in comparison to comercial unix).  The cost for linux is a strong
selling point :-p  Also most games these days seem to want to support linux,
which is a big bonus.

FreeBSD (and other BSD systems) has a microkernel based architecture and is
even smaller than linux in terms of size - making it even faster.  It used
to have a more streamlined TCP/IP stack as well, but I think this has been
rectified in the later linux kernels.  File access is typically a little
faster with BSD as well, although the statistics I saw on that were also
old.

I recently started using BSD, and I've been pleased with how straightforward
it is to install and configure. (For someone familiar with various unix
flavors)  The ports collection is also a very welcome feature.  Online
updating (with cvsup) is another selling point - keeping up with current
changes to the Kernel and OS utilities always seems to be a challenge with
Linux, but BSD seems to have this well in hand.

oops.  I didn't mean to write a book.  Hope that helps :-)

	-- Charles