curious behavior

Mike Mabe docseuss4977 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 6 19:44:30 EDT 2002

hey all,

    I'm pretty new to linux but notice some peculiar behavior with playing
with the mohaa dedidcate server. Just wanted to share in case someone else
has or encounters the same problem.
    If I start the server at the command line like  "./mohaa_lnxded ect ect.
" every runs fine. But if I try to run it in the background with
"nohup ./mohaa_lnxded ect ect &" it also runs fine unless I close out my
telnet program(putty) then the process dies.
   I solved this by just running it in a screen "screen -A -m -d
/path/to/mohaa_lnxded ect ect" and everything seems to work great.

   Just seems wierd to me as I have ran other games servers using just the
nohup and they worked fine. q3, UT, CS.  Don't know if this is mohaa
specific or if it's just the noob showing.
                                DocSeuss