How it goes down

Jeff Mrochuk mrochuk at ee.ualberta.ca
Fri Apr 26 03:58:07 EDT 2002

So I've been talking to some video guys.  Basically it works on 3
levels.

API (OpenGL, Direct3d), Drivers, and Hardware

Your API talks to your drivers, which tell the API what needs to be done
in software, and what can be done in hardware.

In traditional cards (pre Geforce or so) Texuring and Triangle Raster
are all that was done in hardware.  Color, lighting, and transfrom was
all done by the API. Recent cards have added hardware transform and
lighting, but no current game engines even use them yet.

We need to up our memory bandwidth and add texture support, and we've
got a voodoo.

Jeff