localization?

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at icculus.org
Mon May 22 21:21:21 EDT 2006

So I'm trying to get localization rolling on loki_setup, but I can't
find any magic way to get it to use, say, French.

Here's what my Ubuntu box is reporting for installed locales:

$ locale -a |grep fr
fr_BE.utf8
fr_CA.utf8
fr_CH.utf8
fr_FR.utf8
fr_LU.utf8

No matter what I set LANG to, I get English text. I get complaints if I
set LANG to just "fr":

(setup.gtk2:9860): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
         Using the fallback 'C' locale.

(setup.gtk2:9860): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

These go away if I do the full "fr_FR.UTF-8" format, but still English.

Is there something I'm doing that's blatantly wrong, or did this break
in newer Linux distros or glibc versions?

Thanks,
--ryan.