[lokisetup] plugins in SETUP_2_0...

Stéphane Peter megastep at megastep.org
Mon Jun 6 15:53:51 EDT 2005

On Jun 5, 2005, at 10:22 PM, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
> I suspect Stephane is going to rip the UI a new asshole for 2.0, so
> I spent some time thinking about the plugins instead.
>
> Overall, I'm pleased with how the 1.0 archive system worked out in
> principle, but in implementation it has a lot of the same problems
> as the UI layer: code duplication, assumptions, and generic higher-
> level burdens. There are various generic tags that each plugin is
> required to cut and paste from existing plugins, and some do and
> some don't...plus there are UI callbacks passed around, etc.

I agree. While the plugin system we have now mostly works, its API
has become way too encumbered because of repeated changes to the file
copying code, to which it is currently tied.

> It is exceedingly difficult to implement a new plugin, even for
> people that have done it before. When a new XML attribute is added
> to the codebase, it requires editing each plugin to support generic
> functionality. Working with the plugin code tends to be error-prone
> in this respect.

Agreed.

> So what we need, I think, is basically this:
>
> 1) Let's try to keep what's there intact in terms of
> functionality...we have perfectly good zip, tar, rar, etc handlers,
> it doesn't make sense to throw that existing code away entirely.
> 2) Let's try to have all the high-level code exist in the base
> loki_setup, and make sure the plugins only deal with their archive.
> They should do one thing well.
> 3) Let's have copying files and directory trees be a plugin so it's
> not a special case anymore.
> 4) Let's get rid of the callbacks.

Sounds good. The callbacks in the plugin API, as I said, are a
vestige of the old file-copying code, and used solely to provide a
way for the UI to be updated while the files are being extracted. If
we're going to rewrite the UI code, it makes sense to completely get
rid of those anyway.

> Basically, the plugins shouldn't be a one entry point "unpack this
> file and get back to me" thing. Ideally, they should just look more
> or less like the regular file code...the high level sees what files
> are there, and then copies them, block by block.

This could be a valid approach. Of course, the rewrite of the plugin
system will have to be done at the same time as a the rewrite of the
whole I/O system, so we'll see exactly how this works out, but i like
the idea of making regular files being handled as just another
plugin. It will promote healthier code.

--
Stéphane Peter
megastep at megastep.org