snapshot/release question

John Quigley jmquigs at bigfoot.com
Sat Feb 1 16:55:01 EST 2003

I ran into an issue with loki_update compatibility, just wanted to get
people's thoughts on it...

I just finished work on the marble blast installer.
(http://www.garagegames.com/pg/product/view.php?id=3)  I used the cvs
versions of setup and setupdb for this.  However, when I ran an older version
of loki update on an installed marble blast, it said this:

Searching for installed products... Warning: This XML file was generated with
a later version of setupdb (1.6).
Problems may occur.
done!

This scared me a bit, so I made the (perhaps unwise) decision to rename the
loki prefix for my setup programs to ".gglokisetup" instead of ".loki" so
that those old updaters wouldn't mess with my new files.  This worked, but
unfortunately it put me in to my own little loki update world (i.e., users
with Marble blast installed can only update it with my version of loki
update, not the one that other games use.).

I've got two more games in the pipeline and am considering going to back to
".loki" for them, so that life is easier for users.  Just wondering if anyone
has run into problems with old tools using the new files.

PS: Thanks for writing these tools.  The install process is quite smooth, and
it would have been complete suckage without them.