[lokisetup] makeself and browser downloads

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Sun Apr 13 14:12:32 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-04-13 at 06:35, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
> > For Moz based browser just tell them to hold down the shift key when
> > they click on the link and it will save it instead of trying to display
> > it.
>
> What exactly triggers IE and such to believe a given file is text vs.
> binary data?

Usually, it's the web-server - the web server sends the MIME type of the
file before it starts sending the actual data.  If your web-server is
configured to recognize .sh files and send the MIME type you want,
you're all set - otherwise... you can do weird hacks like have PHP
scripts or whatnot that send the Content-type header you want, then
stream the file data out.  (I do just this to deliver a series of
PDF/RTF/PS files from a database on my employer's website, for example.)